Emerson Hall, originally known as the Medical School Building, was the first medical classroom building constructed on the Indiana University Medical Center campus. It replaced outdated facilities at 102 N. Senate Avenue, and integrated academic activities with the recently completed Long Hospital just to the west. Designed by architect Robert Frost Daggett, the building was completed in 1919, and housed laboratories, classrooms, offices, the library, and a cafeteria. Eight years later the south wing, which included an auditorium, bookstore, and additional classroom and library space, was added to the building. In 1961 the university named the building after Dr. Charles Emerson, Dean of the Medical School from 1911 to 1912.