The Broad Creek Historic District was established by the Prince George's County Council on July 30, 1985. The area surrounding Broad Creek, an estuary of the Potomac River, is considered a special place because of its historical significance, its important architectural and archaeological resources, and its unspoiled natural features.
The Broad Creek area's historical significance is derived from several factors. It includes the original land grant of Battersea; the site of the town of Aire, one of six towns established by the Maryland General Assembly in 1706 as ports for the shipping of tobacco; and St. John's Episcopal Church, established in 1692, the present building dating from 1766. St. John's is considered to be the "mother church" of other Episcopal churches in the region.
The District also includes three early to mid-18th century landmark buildings: Harmony Hall (a Georgian manor dating from 1723), Piscataway House (a frame structure c. 1750, which was moved from Piscataway to avoid its demolition) and the ruins of Want Water (a frame and brick dwelling c. 1710). The surroundings of these important buildings and sites have remained relatively unchanged for over two centuries.