Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery.
Lieut. Leonard Martin, U.S.A., Commanding.
(September 17, 1862.)
Early in the morning of the 17th, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, generally known as Ayers' Battery, moved with Smith's Division, Sixth Army Corps, from its bivouac in Pleasant Valley near Crampton's Pass, and, about 12, noon, went into position about 110 yards south of this point on the left of Battery D, 2nd U.S. Artillery, and engaged the Confederate Artillery in the woods around the Dunkard Church and in the fields south of it. The fire was continued with intervals, throughout the day, and the battery remained in substantially the same position until the morning of the 19th.