On October 21, 1735, John and Charles Wesley and General James Oglethorpe (founder of the colony of Georgia) and eighty-four other passengers sailed from England on the ship "The Simmonds". After a hundred and fourteen days they sailed into the Savannah River (February 14, 1736). In March of 1736, Charles Wesley accompanied General Oglethorpe to Fort Frederica; soon after John Wesley joined his brother Charles, Benjamin Ingham and Charles DeLamotte, two other members of the "Holy Club", also lived and labored on this island. No other place in America has been the scene of the labors of so many who by heroic endeavor created the Methodist Church which today numbers many millions.
HERE WE HAVE BUILT A MEMORIAL
Lovely Lane Chapel
Built by Norman W. Dodge in 1880 and named St. James Union Church, the chapel is now the oldest church building on St. Simons Island. Repaired following a hurricane in 1897, deconsecrated in 1911 and used as a recreation center, the chapel was reconsecrated after the Methodists purchased the property in 1949. Restored under the leadership of Bishop Arthur J. Moore, the chapel is now a favorite place for worship, weddings, baptisms and prayer. The magnificent stained glass windows are irreplaceable pieces of Old English Art Glass. The Methodists renamed the church Lovely Lane Chapel after the site of the 1784 founding conference of American Methodism in Baltimore, Maryland.
PROVIDING AN ATMOSPHERE OFTHE NEARNESS OF GOD