Epworth by the SeaJohn and Charles Wesley were born in a parsonage with thatched roof and solidly built walls in Epworth, England. This home was destroyed by fire when John was six years old. All the family were able to escape except John. From an attic window the little boy`s face shone in the reflection of the flame. A human ladder was formed and the life of him who later "put his hands under the civilization of England and lifted it up toward God" was saved. Epworth By The Sea has been built with the hope that through Christian atmosphere, friendly fellowship and spiritual dedication this may be a place where many shall purpose to make Jesus Christ supreme.
Owned and operated by theSouth Georgia Conference of The Methodist Church 1950.
Epworth PioneersIn 1945, South Georgia Methodists resolved to establish a religious center. After searching four years for a site, the Sea Island Company offered to sell them 43.53 acres of the Hamilton Plantation. Because the Conference did not have the $40,000, Bishop Arthur J. Moore asked nine laymen to join him in signing a bank note for a tenth of the purchase price. Not one refused. Since D. Abbott Turner never signed a note, he gave $4,000 in cash. Later known as Epworth Pioneers, they were A.J. Strickland, Jr., Alfred W. Jones, Sr., Walter Blasingame, J. Slater Wright, Ben J. Tarbutton, Sr., Leo B. Huckabee, Jerome Crawley, George T. Morris and D. Abbott Turner. On July 25, 1950, in the Wesley tradition, almost 800 Methodists met under moss draped live oaks for the formal opening. Churches and individuals responded, paid the debt and began a tradition of love, prayers and financial support which makes God's ministry at Epworth possible.
THE DREAM AT LAST A JOYFUL REALITY