Constructed in 1880 by Norman Dodge, repaired in 1897 after a hurricane damaged it, the Chapel was designed by architect G.W.Laine of Atlanta. It was originally known as Union Church and later connsecrated [sic] as St. James Episcopal. In 1911 the church , no longer used for services, was de-consecrated, moved to its present location and used as a recreational center.
In 1949, the Methodists reconsecrated the chapel, naming it Lovely Lane after the site of the 1784 founding conference of American Methodism in Baltimore. At this time, the center alter window and two entrance windows were returned to the Methodists by Christ Church at whose rectory they had been stored. In 1953 Bishop Arthur J. Moore and the Cabinet gave the stained glass Founders Windows of John and Charles Wesley and Francis Asbury to the chapel.
Since 1949, the chapel has been used continually for worship, weddings, baptisms and meditation.
" Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations"
Lovely Lane Chapel
The original Lovely Lane Chapel was erected in Baltimore Maryland in 1774. There in 1784 was convened the Christmas Conference where the Methodist Church was organized and Francis Asbury ordained the first Methodist Bishop in America. In this conference were laid the foundations that were to carry the structure of Methodism that was to bless not only this land, but all lands.
Has been given the name of ...
As a memorial to those who did so much to organize the Methodist Church and in consecration to the noblest and most redemptive service that can be rendered in the name of "Jesus Christ Our Lord"
"The best of all is God is with us"John Wesley