In 1800 James Hamilton, with his partner John Couper, purchased land at Gascoigne Bluff. Under Hamilton's stewardship, Hamilton Plantation became one of the major St. Simons producers of long-staple cotton. After Hamilton moved to Philadelphia, management oversight was carried out by his namesake, James Hamilton Couper, who eventually owned Hamilton. From colonial days, Gascoigne Bluff had served as a deep-water landing. In the plantation era, imported goods and cotton exports for the entire island were transported through Hamilton Plantation's wharf. Two tabby cabins that housed some of the plantation's slaves have been preserved at the Bluff.