"Every desired comfort is furnished in great abundance, and every luxury, with which this country abounds in great profusion, is supplied by sympathetic people, and administered to the suffering wounded by devoted women. A heartier response to the calls of humanity, never came from a more generous people than we have witnessed here." Dr. P. Gardner, August 1, 1863
Dr. P. Gardner was an army surgeon reporting the condition of the temporary United States Hospital into which Pleasant Hill Hotel had been converted. Pleasant Hill Hotel was used as a private academy when the government rented the hotel, and all wounded soldiers were transferred to this place from July 10 until August 15. Conveyed by train from Gettysburg through Hanover, 12,000 to 14,000 wounded men were dispatched to Baltimore, York, Philadelphia, and Harrisburg. Of those, about 150 wounded were kept at Hanover.
By sunset June 30, 1863, on the day of the Battle of Hanover, local physicians Jacob Smith, George Hinkle, John Culbertson, Henry Eckert, and Horace Alleman had cared for sixty or more wounded soldiers in the Center Square at Concert Hall. Additionally, Marion Hall, a small building to the rear of York Street, used by Marion Rifles, was converted into a temporary hospital. Flickinger's Foundry, also located on York Street, was converted into a temporary morgue.
Comments 0 comments