Historic Pottstown Walking TourIn 1887, P. Elwood Baum purchased the newspaper that would eventually become the present day Mercury. At that time, Baum renamed The Chronicle, located at 18 1/2 N. Hanover St., The Pottstown Daily News. After Baum's death in 1892, Thomas Taylor took over the paper and in 1896, built The News Building at 17 N. Hanover directly across the street, where the paper would remain until 1926. In 1913, William L. Binder, president and general manager, renamed the paper one last time to The Pottstown News.
|Placed By||Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 7:45am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 444681 N 4455308|
|Decimal Degrees||40.24640000, -75.65040000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 14.784', W 75° 39.024'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 14' 47.04" N, 75° 39' 1.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||484, 610|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 37-49 N Hanover St, Pottstown PA 19464, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.