Historic Pottstown Walking TourOn February 19, 1889, the Pottstown Light, Heat & Power Co., located on Queen St. west of Penn St., along the railroad tracks, brought electricity to Pottstown. That night, High St. was illuminated by a series of 2000 candlepower arc lights. The first private lamp was installed in the clothing store of A. Weitzenkorn & Sons at 145 High St. Local operation of the power plant continued until the Pottstown Light, Heat & Power Co. transferred its stock to the Philadelphia Suburban Gas & Electric Co. on March 19, 1910.
|Placed By||PECO Energy and Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 3:41am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 444427 N 4455010|
|Decimal Degrees||40.24370000, -75.65336667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 14.622', W 75° 39.202'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 14' 37.32" N, 75° 39' 12.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||484, 610|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 140 College Dr, Pottstown PA 19464, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.