In 1864, five years before the first railroad arrived in Pleasanton, John W. Kottinger demonstrated his faith in Pleasanton"s future by building the communities first hotel, The Farmer's Hotel.Dedicated September 10, 1988
The building was purchased by Henry in 1891 and burned to the ground on Mar. 18, 1898, and re-built.
At one time the hotel was called the Riverside Hotel.
After a minor fire in 1915, the structure was renovated and re-named the Pleasanton Hotel.
Native Sons of the Golden West
Frank J. Compani, Grand President
Plaque Funded by the James D. Phelan Trust