This neighborhoods developed in the 1880s as one of Birmingham's first streetcar suburbs. It was the Town of Highlands from 1887 to 1893, when it became part of the City of Birmingham. The heart of the neighborhood was Five Points Circle, a major streetcar intersection lined with houses and small stores. In the 1920s, the Circle was transformed into one of the state's most distinctive shopping areas, known for its outstanding collection of Spanish Revival and Art Deco buildings. Nearby houses, churches, temples, and apartment buildings also contribute to Five Points' architectural quality and serve as reminders of the prominent citizens who lived in the neighborhood during its first 50 years. On March 16, 1983 the Five Points South Historical District was entered in the National Register of Historic Places.