<———<<<<The Spalding Grays, as Co. D. 2nd Batt. Inf., was the first military unit from Spalding County to be mustered in to the Confederate Army. It was followed by 8 regular and several militia companies. The Spalding Grays have continued through the years as a unit of the Ga. Nat. Guard, serving in war and peace, military and civil emergencies. Today it is Co. C, 48th Reconnaissance Batt., 48th Armored Div., Ga. Nat. Guard, whose headquarters are in this modern armory, completed in 1956. The only earlier military company from the county was the Fannin Avengers which served in the Mexican War and has long since passed from existence.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 3:36am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 754538 N 3679652|
|Decimal Degrees||33.22586667, -84.26865000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 13.552', W 84° 16.119'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 13' 33.12" N, 84° 16' 7.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 87-107 Fair Rd, Griffin GA 30224, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.