Most Georgia troops for the Confederate Army were mobilized in Griffin. Camp Milner, the Cavalry Camp, was named for Ben Milner, prominent Spalding County man who gave financial aid in equipping companies from his county. Camp Stephens, the Infantry Camp, was north of Griffin on McIntosh Road. Griffin and Spalding County furnished 9 companies to the Army and several to the Georgia Militia for local service. Camp Milner became Camp Northen, named for Gov. W. J. Northen, in 1898. During the Spanish-American War it was a training camp and mobilization center for National Guard. Later a fairgrounds, it is now the Municipal Park.