On June 29, 1776, Father Francisco Palou, a member of the Anza Expedition, had a brushwood shelter here on the edge of a now vanished lake, Largo de los Dolores (Lake of the Sorrows), andoffered the first mass. The first mission was a log and thatch structure dedicated on October 9, 1776 when the necessary church documents arrived. The present Mission Dolores was dedicated in 1791.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 327-1
Plaque placed by the state Department of Parks and Recreation incooperation with the Albion/Camp Neighborhood Association - June 29, 1995
Dedicated to the Rammaytush, the First People of San Francisco.
Ishman colma carac yonahi acho isha hacheche ahmush owahto harwec irshah.*
*Sun, moon, sky, village, friend, alive: we eat, drink sing and dance.
[Map of San Francisco, highlighting Dolores Lagoon, Arroyo de los Dolores, and the sites of the 1776 and 1791 Mission Churches.]