In 1852 Andrew Church established a trading post where a road from the San Joaquin Valley, crossed the Agua Fria Creek. The site, known as Bridgeport, was on the Fremont Grant, about five miles south of Aqua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa County. Church's store prospered as he sold supplies to travelers, farmers, and miners including 3000 local Chinese. The Washburn brothers of Wawona fame began their California endeavors as clerks in the trading post. As mining declined, Bridgeport faded, but survived as a stage stop for Yosemite-bound tourists. The old wagon road changed and improved, became the main route from Merced to Mariposa and Yosemite until the late 30's. Road re-routing signaled the end for Bridgeport. It's demise was slowed by local gold dredging and penny-ante poker in the back room of the old store.