A late Victorian example of simplified Italianate architecture, the Chiechi House was built in approximately 1876 by John and Jane Campbell. In 1913 the house, at 820 Northrup Avenue, was purchased by Michele Chiechi. Prominent valley orchardists, the Chiechi family occupied the house for sixty years. In 1973 the old family home was donated and moved to the Historical Museum.
In 1986 proceeds realized from Living History Days, co-sponsored by the San Jose Historical Association, the City of San Jose Parks and Recreation Department, and KRON-TV 4, were dedicated to the Chiechi House restoration. With these funds and many additional contributions the rehabilitation, which began in 1974, was completed in 1987.
The San Jose Historical Museum gratefully acknowledges the following: Robert Bentson, Cheryl Bruch, Chuck Buckley, Steve Carlson, The Chiechi Family (in particulaar Grace M., Nick, and Margaret Chiechi), Ester Crosby, Dial One of San Jose, Barbara Dorr, Stella Gallant, Rubie Golart, Virginia Hammerness, Fran Hartman, Mr. and Mrs. George Hesse, Mr. and Mrs. Jim Klem, KRON-TV 4, Patricia Loomis, Tony May, Janice and Daryl McNeilly, Ethel Murie, Anona Pride, Jack Rouleau, Edna Schmidt, Charles Walton, Tom Zotalis, Plasterers Local #224 Apprenticeship Program, San Jose Historical Museum Association, San Jose State University Art Department, The Historical Museum Staff from 1973 through 1987.
Gift of San Jose Historical Museum Association Endowment Fund.