On June 18, 1805, Lieutenant Gabriel Moraga, on his first exploratory journey into the San Joaquin Valley traversed this pass and recorded it.
Since then it has been trail, toll road, stagecoach road, and freeway — the principal route between the coastal areas to the west and the great valley and mountains to the east.
Calfornia Registered Historical Landmark No. 829
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Merced County Historical Advisory Committee and the Native Daughters of the Golden West, June 18, 1969.