A toll road was built over Pacheco Pass in 1857 by Andrew D. Firebaugh. Later in that same year he built a tavern near this site, which became a Butterfield transcontinental stage stop. In 1859 the Pacific and Atlantic Company built a telegraph line over the pass and a telegraph station was established here.Dedicated October 19, 1985
Lafayette F. Bell purchased the toll road, stage stop, tavern, and telegraph office for $4,000 in 1863. When a post office was added in 1873, the tavern and stage stop became known as Bell Station.
Bell Station may be the sole remaining name on the California map in which "Station" refers not to a railroad station, but a stage coach station.
In Memory of XSNGH Carl Briggs, 1925-1985.