Joaquin Miller, "Poet of the Sierras," resided on these acres, named by him "The Hights," from 1886 to 1913. In this building known as The Abbey, he wrote "Columbus" and other poems. The surrounding trees were planted by him and he personally built, on the eminence to the north, the funeral pyre and monuments dedicated to Moses, General John C. Fremont and Robert Browning. "The Hights" was purchased by the City of Oakland in 1991.
Tablet erected by the Historical Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, September 9, 1928.