The Industrial Heritage TrailImage Source: The American Engineering Historical Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1985. The Standard Elevator stands next to the Buffalo River, immediately upstream of the Ohio Street Bridge. It was built in two phases of development. It was designed by the A.E. Baxter Engineering Company, and built in 1928 by the James Stewart Company. The 3,000,000 bushel facility was to be part of a large flour milling complex. However, the plans were scaled down, and only the elevator was built. It served as a transfer elevator, supplying Standard's Seneca Street flour mill and other mills. In 1940, the Standard Company revived its original plans to build a mill and an annex to the elevator on the site. Once again, however, the plans were not completed, and only the 2,000,000 bushel elevator annex was added in 1942. When the Standard Mill closed in 1985, he elevator was sold to the Pillsbury Company to replace the closed Great Northern Elevator. The elevator was later sold to Archer-Daniels Midland, and as of 2010 continues to supply their flour mill on Ganson Street.
|Placed By||The Industrial Heritage Committee, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, July 19th, 2015 at 10:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 674119 N 4747086|
|Decimal Degrees||42.85653333, -78.86876667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 51.392', W 78° 52.126'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 51' 23.52" N, 78° 52' 7.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 851-863 Fuhrmann Boulevard, Buffalo NY 14203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.