The Industrial Heritage TrailImage Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1985. The American Elevator was the first reinforced concrete grain elevator built on Buffalo's waterfront. It was designed and built by the James Stewart Company for the American Malting Company in 1906. It was constructed using slip form construction method. Slip form construction is performed by continuously pouring concrete into a form as it is slowly raised. Herry Wait desgned an addition to the American Elevator in 1933. The elevator was used to support malt production for beer until 1921, when the elevator and its owner fell victim to Prohibition. The elevator was then purchased by the Russell-Miller company and used to supply wheat for their new flour mill. In 1954, the Peavey Corporation purchased the elevator and mill. They retained control until 1982, when the elevator was acquired by ConAgra. The elevator has two marine legs; one stationary and one moveable. The original leg featured a rope driven power tranmission system, an example of a once important, little known system that is now obsolete.
|Placed By||The Industrial Heritage Committee, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015 at 10:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 674128 N 4747075|
|Decimal Degrees||42.85643333, -78.86866667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 51.386', W 78° 52.12'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 51' 23.16" N, 78° 52' 7.2" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 851-863 Fuhrmann Boulevard, Buffalo NY 14203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.