The Industrial Heritage TrailImage Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1990. The Lake and Rail Elevator was developed by International Milling Inc., which established a new milling operation in Buffalo in 1926. Within four years of the construction of the mill, a substantial elevating complex with a storage capacity of over four million bushels had been completed. The entire complex was designed and built by the Jones Hettelsater Company of Kansas City. This was their only elevator in Buffalo. The site is characterized by a sharp bend in the river where the elevator takes a 90-degree turn. International Milling Company produced several lines of grain products at the site, and milled flour that was marketed under the name "Robin Hood". During World War II, the company converted surplus wheat into alcohol grits used in making syntheic rubber. The site was sold to ConAgra/Maple Leaf Milling in 1988, which operated the facility until 2005. In 2006, it was purchased by the RiverWright Corporation and rehabilitated. The elevator was sold to Whitebox Commodities in 2008. As of 2012, it is being used as a transfer and storage elevator.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 at 6:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 674125 N 4747081|
|Decimal Degrees||42.85648333, -78.86870000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 51.389', W 78° 52.122'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 51' 23.34" N, 78° 52' 7.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 851-863 Fuhrmann Boulevard, Buffalo NY 14203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.