The Industrial Heritage TrailImage Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. Development at the H-O Oats site began in 1893, with the construction of a wood-framed cereal mill and a fed mill built for Edward Wllsworth. Ellsworth was a pioneer in the manufacture of prepared breakfast food. In addition to H-O Oats, Ellsworth developed Force Toasted Wheat Flakes and Presto Self-Rising Flour. In 1896, a brick and frame elevator was added to the cereal mill. Hecker H-O purchased the company in 1909, and added a four-story mill building, and concrete and steel elevators between 1912 and 1914. Standard Milling bought the company in 1925. In 1931, a 580,000 bushel concrete elevator was constructed. The elevator was built by the Monarch Engineering Company of Buffalo, under the design of H.R. Wait. In 1963, all production at the site ceased. The warehouse was briefly used as a tire warehouse, until a fire in 1987 destroyed most of the complex. The concrete silos were demolished in 2006.
|Placed By||The Industrial Heritage Committee, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 at 6:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 674124 N 4747080|
|Decimal Degrees||42.85648333, -78.86871667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 51.389', W 78° 52.123'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 51' 23.34" N, 78° 52' 7.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 851-863 Fuhrmann Boulevard, Buffalo NY 14203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.