The Industrial Heritage TrailImage Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. The perot Company, a business dating back to the late 1600s in Philadelphia, relocated its operations to Buffalo in 1907. The company commissioned the construction of a malt house and 300,000 bushel elevator by the James Stewart Company. In 1933, an additional 300,000 bushels of storage was added to the elevator by the Monarch Engineering Company. The elevator was constructed without any marine legs, despite the malting company's desirable riverside location. Between 1907 and 1922, the malt house received all its barley via railroad. In 1922, an agreement was struck between the American Elevator and Perot that allowed the American to handle water-borne shipments for the Perot. Perot's barley shipments were conveyed from the American via an overhead belting system. Perot Malting continued as Buffalo's largest malt house until 1962, when the facility was sold. It has since gone through a succession of owners. As of 2010, the elevator is idle, but is maintained for future use.
|Placed By||The Industrial Heritage Committee, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 at 10:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 674125 N 4747079|
|Decimal Degrees||42.85646667, -78.86870000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 51.388', W 78° 52.122'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 51' 23.28" N, 78° 52' 7.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 851-863 Fuhrmann Boulevard, Buffalo NY 14203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.