Completed May 1997Altahama River borders Long County andwas a boundry between the Indians andearly settlers. During the RevolutionaryWar, Fort Telfair at Beard's Bluff providedsafety for the colonists. Frontiersmen made a living cutting trees. They fastenedlogs together, floated them down the Altahama to Darien, sold them and walked40 miles home. By mid 1840's a railroadarrived in Johnson's Station, later renamedLudowici. From 1904-1914 William Ludowici used local clay to manufacture roofing tilesat a plant on Factory Hill. In appreciation of money contributed for a new school,the town was renamed. After 1910 Ludowici'sdowntown grew into a row of storefrontson this street. Fire destroyed the block in the 1970's. The 1990's brought populationgrowth and the completion of a new school.There is promise of a bright future forcitizens of "a county on the go."
|Placed By||Long County Chamber of Commerce|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 8:17pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 429453 N 3508529|
|Decimal Degrees||31.70996667, -81.74453333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 42.598', W 81° 44.672'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 42' 35.88" N, 81° 44' 40.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 210 Mc Queen St, Ludowici GA 31316, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.