This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 14, 1920, is named for Dr. Crawford W. Long who first used ether as an anaesthetic in a surgical operation, at Jefferson, Ga., March 30, 1842. Born in Danielsville Nov. 1, 1815, Dr. Long was a graduate of Franklin College (now U. of Ga.). Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff W.R. Wilkinson, Clerk of Superior Court C.E. Dawson, Ordinary T.J. Harrington, Tax Receiver J. McL. Cameron, Tax Collector T.H. Smiley, Treasurer R.D. Easterling, Coroner L.M. Branch and Surveyor M.C. Sarrason.
Comments 0 comments