This home, also known as the "Pink Lady," is a classic Queen Anne/Eastlake Victorian residence designed by the prestigious architectural firm of Newsom Brothers of San Francisco. It was completed in 1889 for William Carson, a pioneer lumber baron of Northern California, who had it built as a wedding gift for his son Milton Carson.
The property left the Carson Family's ownership in the 1940s, was used as a boarding house and subsequently fell into serious disrepair. Robert M. Madsen, a local real estate broker and former councilman and mayor of Eureka, purchased it in 1963. He rehabilitated it to its former glory, meriting the City of Eureka's first Beautification Award for his efforts. His wife Josephine L. Madsen and the Madsen Family have maintained its historical elegance.
While the Carson House was being rehabilitated in 1963-64, a decision was made on its exterior color to contrast with the dark color of the Carson Mansion, now known as the Ingomar Club, the Carson House was painted bright pink and white. Before Long the renovated Victorian gained its special name, the "Pink Lady."
Dedicated February 8, 2003 by the Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West
Robert M. Rogers, Grand President