The Perry Army Air Base of World War II stood in an 862 acre area south and west of this point.
The 441st and 312th Fighter Squadrons of the Third Army Air Force trained replacement pilots for combat units worldwide.
The 338th Fighter Group single engine aircraft included the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, and North American P-51 Mustang.
The first troops arrived on June 9, 1943, and last departed in early September, 1945. Approximately 120 pilots per month received their final training here before overseas duty. Their service contributed to the successful conclusion of the war and was possible through dedicated support of both civilian and military permanent party personnel.
In spite of a frequently commended safety training program, more than a score of trainees lost their lives to flying mishaps here.
William Jaques (Sgt.), an Armorer of C Flight, 441st Fighter Squadron, in a diary kept during his 27 months of service here, paid this tribute: "Remembering the young airmen who died at Perry Army Air Field, June 1943 to September 1945... they died in the air, in the gulf, in the woods, and in the swamps. Some gave too much...but we got the job done."