On this 6 1/4 acre site, Libby, McNeill and Libby opened the San Joaquin Valley's largest cannery on July 18, 1911, less than four hectic months after the site was acquired and construction plans were announced. The initial construction cost was 25,895.
Attracted to Selma by many orchards of cling peaches and early success of a much smaller cannery a few blocks away on Whitson Street, Libby's grew quickly and a year later doubled its production capacity. In 1914, this large warehouse structure was constructed while other major improvements were made to the adjoining cannery along Center Street. Further expansion made Libby's one of California's largest canneries and southern Fresno County's biggest employer.
Thanks to Libby's, Selma in 1914 adopted its first community theme — "Home of the Peach." Declining supplies of fruit, falling production and antiquated facilities led to the cannery's closure on September 24, 1971. The main cannery building was later demolished.